You can spread the cost of our course with Interest Free Credit on selected courses**.
£648Amount of credit
£2724 monthly payments of
This is exclusively available for a limited time by calling us on 0800 083 9191 or 01409 220 777.
Horticultural Correspondence College Limited is registered in England no. 03819370. Lyne Akres, Brandis Corner, Devon, EX22 7YH. Horticultural Correspondence College is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, register number 774548 and acts as a credit broker and offers finance through the Deko platform, which is provided by Omni Capital Retail Finance Ltd. Omni Capital Retail Finance Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Reference number 720279. Credit is provided to UK residents with a UK bank account, subject to age and status.
Become a Gardener
You can do it – here’s how
You want to
become a gardener
Enrol on our Become
calling 0800 083 9191
or clicking here
Start straight away,
learning where and
when suits you
On completion begin
your new career, making
a living from something
that’s your passion
Everything you need for a successful gardening career
Make a career doing something you love! This complete career pathway is suitable for beginners and will equip you with the knowledge, practical skills and industry-recognised qualifications to become a professional gardener. You will be able to learn a comprehensive range of topics – from plant structure, protective cultivation (i.e. glasshouse growing), health and propagation, to lawn maintenance, plant selection, growing fruit and vegetables, and garden design and landscaping. On completion you could create beautiful private gardens or public spaces, and maintain them; with your own business or at a company.
- Enjoy a rewarding, pleasurable lifestyle – being active and outdoors, working with nature and the changing seasons, nurturing plants, and creating and maintaining beautiful gardens
- Gardening skills are in demand, as a gardener you could earn up to £45 per hour*
- Flexible home-study so you can fit your learning around your work and life
- Quality course material and excellent tutor support – to help you achieve your goals
- No previous experience needed
* Based on real charges in the London area.
How the course works
How the courses work
This pathway consists of three parts:
- RHS Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of Plant Growth, Propagation and Development (RQF 601/0554/9)
- RHS Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of Garden Planning, Establishment & Maintenance (RQF 500/8295/4)
(these two parts make up the ‘RHS Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of Horticulture’)
Plus, you can choose either:
- Advanced HCC Course in Plant Growth
- Advanced HCC Course in Garden Planning
Your first set of study materials will be sent to you when you enrol. You can start as soon as you want and progress through the studies at your own pace (you have 2 years to complete it), studying when and where you choose. This flexibility makes it easy to fit learning around work and family commitments.
The extensive study materials have been developed by gardening experts and are clear and straightforward, so your studying is easy and enjoyable. As you complete each lesson, your tutor will promptly return your marked assignment with constructive feedback and guidance. (You can also contact your tutor or the support team for help at any point during your studies.)
The pathway includes all the required study materials.
On successful completion of the first 2 parts of your studies as listed above, and the RHS exams you will receive the nationally recognised RHS qualifications for Level 2.
On successful completion of your chosen part 3 of your studies, you will receive either:
- Advanced HCC Certificate in Plant Growth
- Advanced HCC Certificate in Garden Planning
We are proud of our friendly, caring ethos and aim to do all we can to help you succeed.
Our tutors are all experienced, highly qualified and passionate about sharing their love of their subject. You can phone or email your tutor throughout your studies – to ask questions, for advice, encouragement or to draw on their wealth of knowledge.
You can also contact the support team who are here to help you Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.
What you will learn
RHS Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of Plant Growth, Propagation and Development – A 4-lesson study programme of preparation for the RHS examination.
Lesson 1 – Plant Classification, Structure and Function
- Classification and taxonomy
- Plant development and life cycles
- Structure and function of plant cells and tissues
- External vegetative parts of the plant
- Reproductive plant structures
- The function of fruits and seeds
- Photosynthesis and respiration
- Movement of water, minerals and sugar
- Plant growth and development
Lesson 2 – Plant Nutrition and the Root Environment
- Understanding the importance of using safe, healthy & environmentally sustainable practices
- The soil horizons
- The physical properties of soil
- Factors that determine the water status in soil
- The importance of organic matter and living soil organisms in the root environment
- The importance of soil pH
- Plant nutrition provided by soil & growing media
- Alternative growing media
Lesson 3 – Maintaining Plant Health
- Scientific principles and horticultural practices of plant health problems
- Safe, healthy and environmentally sustainable practices
- Effects and control of weeds
- Typical plant pests
- Typical plant diseases
- Plant physiological disorders
- Plant health problems
Lesson 4 – Understanding Plant Propagation
- Propagation methods
- Harvesting and storing seeds
- Propagation from seed
- Propagation from cuttings
- Vegetative propagation techniques
- Budding and grafting
- Safe, healthy & environmentally sustainable practices
RHS Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of Garden Planning, Establishment & Maintenance – A 4-lesson study programme of preparation for the RHS examination.
Lesson 1 – Garden Features, Plant Selection and Planning
- Basic surveying techniques
- Site appraisal
- Principles and elements of garden design
- Garden design styles
- Using hard landscaping materials in garden planning
- Using soft landscaping in garden planning
- A cohesive design
- Safety, health and environmentally sustainable practices
Lesson 2 – The Choice, Establishment and Maintenance of Garden Plants and Lawns
- Scientific principles and horticultural practices and their relation to the selection of plants
- Selection of plants for seasonal displays
- Selection of herbaceous perennial plants & bulbs
- Selection of plants for woody display
- Selection of alpine and rock garden plants
- Planting and maintenance of garden ponds
- Establishing lawns and turf
- Maintenance of turfed areas
Lesson 3 – Production of Outdoor Vegetables and Fruit
- Site selection
- Cultural operations for outdoor food production
- Production of vegetable crops
- Production of top and soft fruit crops
- Health, safety and environmentally friendly practices
Lesson 4 – Protected Environments and their use in Plant Cultivation
- Health, safety and environmentally friendly practices
- Protective structures
- The environment within protected structures
- Structural and cladding material of protected structures
- Environmental control in protected structures
- Containers used for production and display
- Horticultural uses of the protected environment
- Care of interior plants
(The ‘RHS Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of Plant Growth, Propagation and Development’ and the ‘RHS Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of Garden Planning, Establishment & Maintenance’ make up the ‘RHS Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of Horticulture’)
You can then choose either the:
Advanced HCC Course in Plant Growth – Click here to view this course contents
Advanced HCC Course in Garden Planning – Click here to view this course contents
If needed you have 2 years to complete your studies. Many students are able to complete their studies in approximately 9-18 months (approx 430 learning hours)*.
*Timescales are approximate and depend upon application and motivation.
On successful completion of the first 2 parts of your studies as listed, and the RHS exams you will receive the nationally recognised RHS qualifications for Level 2.
On successful completion of your chosen part 3 of your studies*, you will receive either:
Advanced HCC Certificate in Plant Growth
Advanced HCC Certificate in Garden Planning
The HCC’s reputation means this can be highly regarded on a CV and, combined with your portfolio of coursework, is evidence of your achievements (whether you are applying for a job or a more advanced study course).
* The HCC Certificate will be issued once you have successfully completed your studies and finished your payments.
Upon successful completion of RHS examinations you will be awarded:
- RHS Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of Horticulture
(consisting of two certificates:
RHS Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of Plant Growth, Propagation and Development;
RHS Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of Garden Planning, Establishment and Maintenance)
Your study materials and the valuable tutor feedback you will receive during your studies will help to prepare you for the Royal Horticultural Society qualifications. When you are ready to sit the examinations, you will need to register as a candidate with HCC or as an external candidate using another RHS Approved Centre. We offer advice and assistance for booking examinations when you are ready. Please click here for RHS and assessment centre requirements and fees.
You will also need to obtain the RHS syllabus and an entry form directly from the Royal Horticultural Society. Please click on the links below to download the RHS outline syllabus, and for further information on examination dates and fees. Your exam fees are payable to the RHS Approved Centre.
RHS Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of Plant Growth, Propagation and Development
RHS Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of Garden Planning, Establishment and Maintenance
- You could work in private gardens, public parks, sports grounds and schools.
- You could work for a company as a gardener.
- Or you could set up your own business and be self-employed.
- You could do the following jobs:
- Garden maintenance and planting
- Working in a nursery: growing, selling, and management
- Garden sitting service (i.e. maintaining gardens while the owners are on holiday)
- Growing and selling container plants or house plants.
You do not need previous gardening knowledge or experience to enrol on this pathway.
There are 3 ways you can enrol
- Pay the total fee of £690* in one sum and also receive a special gift from our selection – free
- Pay a deposit of just £90*, followed by 12 instalments of £50
- Pay a deposit of just £42*, followed by 24 instalments of £27** using Interest Free Credit (exclusively available by calling us on 01409 220 777)