You can spread the cost of our course with Interest Free Credit on selected courses**.
This is exclusively available for a limited time by calling us on 0800 083 9191 or 01409 220 777.
Horticultural Correspondence College Limited is registered in England no. 03819370. Lyne Akres, Brandis Corner, Devon, EX22 7YH. Horticultural Correspondence College is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, register number 774548 and acts as a credit broker and offers finance through the Deko platform, which is provided by Omni Capital Retail Finance Ltd. Omni Capital Retail Finance Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Reference number 720279. Credit is provided to UK residents with a UK bank account, subject to age and status.
RHS Level 3 Certificate in the Principles of Plant Growth, Health and Applied Propagation
RQF Qualification Number 601/0353/X
A course on plant growth and health that will grow your knowledge even further
Progressing on from the RHS Level 2 qualification, this is ideal for those wishing to pursue a horticultural career or already working in this field. It should also provide rewarding study for keen leisure gardeners. You will gain an in-depth, scientific understanding of plant health, nutrition and development, propagation and root systems, as well as a detailed exploration of diseases and pests. It prepares you for the Level 3 RHS qualification which can provide a route to employment as a gardener or garden designer. The Level 3 qualification is also an excellent base for higher level training.
- Builds on the RHS Level 2 qualification to give a deeper understanding of plant biology, health and propagation
- Flexible home-study course so you can fit your learning around your work and life
- Quality course materials and excellent tutor support – to help you achieve your goals
- Follows the RHS syllabus
- HCC is an approved Distance Learning Provider with RHS for the Level 3 qualifications
- On successful completion of your studies and the RHS exams you will receive the nationally recognised RHS qualification
- Suitable for horticultural professionals and keen amateur gardeners
- We recommend that you have done our RHS Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of Plant Growth, Propagation and Developmentor similar
before starting this course
How the course works
How the courses work
Your first set of course materials will be sent to you when you enrol. You can start as soon as you want and progress through the course at your own pace (you have 2 years to complete it), studying when and where you choose. This flexibility makes it easy to fit learning around work and family commitments.
The extensive course materials have been developed by gardening experts and are clear and straightforward, so your studying is easy and enjoyable. As you complete each lesson, your tutor will promptly return your marked assignment with constructive feedback and guidance. (You can also contact your tutor or the support team for help at any point during your studies.)
All the required study materials are included.
On successful completion of your studies and the RHS exams you will be awarded a nationally recognised RHS qualification.
We are proud of our friendly, caring ethos and aim to do all we can to help you succeed.
Our tutors are all experienced, highly qualified and passionate about sharing their love of their subject. You can phone or email your tutor throughout the course – to ask questions, for advice, encouragement or to draw on their wealth of knowledge.
You can also contact the support team who are here to help you Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.
What you will learn
RHS Level 3 Certificate in the Principles of Plant Growth, Health and Applied Propagation– A 4-lesson study programme of preparation for the RHS examination.
Lesson 1 – Plant Taxonomy, Structure and Function
- Plant taxonomy
- The structure and function of plant tissues
- The role of flowers and fruit
- Photosynthesis and respiration
- Movement of water and solutes through the plant
- Tropisms and plant movements
- Endogenous & synthetic growth regulators
Lesson 2 – The Root Environment, Plant Nutrition & Growing Systems
- Properties of soil and growing media
- Plant growth & air and water
- Soil organisms and nutrient cycling
- The chemistry of soil & growing media
- The role of nutrients in plant growth
- Organic production
Lesson 3 – The Management of Plant Health
- Significant Pests, Diseases and Disorders
- Chemical Control in Plant Protection
Lesson 4 – Understanding Applied Plant Propagation
- Seed anatomy, physiology & environmental factors influencing propagation
- The relevance of anatomy, physiology and environmental factors to vegetative propagation
- Growing media & propagation equipment
If needed you have 2 years to complete the course. Many students are able to complete this course in approximately 9-12 months (approx 150 learning hours)*.
*Timescales are approximate and depend upon application and motivation.
Upon successful completion of RHS examinations you will be awarded:
- RHS Level 3 Certificate in the Principles of Plant Growth, Health and Applied Propagation
Your course materials and the valuable tutor feedback you will receive during your studies will help to prepare you for the Royal Horticultural Society qualifications. When you are ready to sit the examinations, you will need to register as a candidate with HCC or as an external candidate using another RHS Approved Centre. We offer advice and assistance for booking examinations when you are ready. Please click here for RHS and assessment centre requirements and fees.
You will also need to obtain the RHS syllabus and an entry form directly from the Royal Horticultural Society. Please click here to download the RHS outline syllabus, and for further information on examination dates and fees. Your exam fees are payable to the RHS Approved Centre.
- You could do the following jobs:
- Garden maintenance and planting
- Working in a nursery: growing, selling, and management
- Garden sitting service (i.e. maintaining gardens while the owners are on holiday)
- Growing and selling container plants or house plants
- Working in horticultural education, provided you have the right range of practical knowledge and having gained the correct educational qualifications and relevant teaching experience.
- As this is a Level 3 qualification, if you have the required practical experience you could do the jobs listed above at a supervisory level.
- If you already work in the horticultural profession, this qualification would demonstrate to prospective employers or clients an in-depth knowledge of plant biology, nutrition, health and propagation.
- Successful completion of this course and the Level 3 Certificate in the Principles of Garden Planning, Construction and Planting provide the written framework (theory) for the RHS Level 3 Diploma in the Principles of Horticulture (when the assessments of the RHS Level 3 Practical Horticulture Certificate have also been successfully completed).
While there are no formal entry requirements, we recommend that you have successfully completed our RHS Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of Plant Growth, Propagation and Development or similar before starting on this course. Please get in touch if you are unsure about the level of the course.
There are 2 ways you can enrol
- Pay the course fee of £295* in one sum and also receive a special gift from our selection – free
- Pay a deposit of just £95*, followed by 4 instalments of £50
* RHS examination fees apply and are payable to the examination centre